Sunday, October 25, 2009

Dear Line Person... off my butt!

Whether people realize it or not, the distance that you stand behind someone is a social sign of how much personal space you prefer.

So, why don't people actually recognize this fact? I have often stood a good 2-3 feet behind someone in a grocery line only to have a large, bearded, panting man stand 6 inches from my back. He's there... even if you can't see him, you know he is there.

What to do?

My reaction is usually the half-turn, "I am just looking around the store to see if I forgot something." This usually doesn't work.

The next reaction I tend towards is a slight turn with a frown. The ole "He buddy... we aren't dating." This also usually doesn't work because the panting man has become so unaware of himself and his usually socially annoying habits that it would take a swift drop kick to the midsection for him to be aware of ANYTHING!

My new reaction... I turn to a friend (you must always carry a friend with you, just like a knife... always carry a knife!) and say, "Man, I think I am mildly claustrophobic," Sometimes that works. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment